Tuesday, September 13, 2005

My new favorite word

I love words. I love new ones, big ones, ones that mean interesting things, and ones that just sound cool as they roll off your tongue. I heard one several times this week that I had not heard in a long time, and I love it.

Bloviate (ing) - to speak or write verbosely and windily.

I'm watching the spectacle of bloviating Senators lecturing John Roberts, nominee for Chief Justice of the US Supreme Court, under the guise of questioning the nominee. Some, such as Swimming Ted (hic!) Kennedy and Plagarizing Joe Biden, had to be repeatedly reprimanded by the Judiciary Committee chair to allow Roberts to answer the question they had just posed.

These blowhards in the Senate are so used to hearing their own voice that they cannot even ask a question and allow time for an answer before they begin talking again. Howard Kurtz nailed this embarrasing practice in his column "Supreme Blather."

It seems that the Senate in particular has become increasingly detached from society and reality. I fear for our democracy. It's as if it is all about them, and the actual process of governing is a secondary business for them.

God help us.

1 comment:

Sandra said...

well said.