Wednesday, June 27, 2007

What's truly important

You know, I think many in our world spend more time thinking about where they will be buried than they do about where they will spend eternity. I know that sounds a little harsh and backward, but many people I know will spend more time planning their funeral than they will on their eternal destination, which is truly sad. I've heard discussions of whether they will be in the shade, sun, crypt and which cemetery from people that seem to be apathetic about their destination.

In some ways I share some of the blame for that. I have been too reticent in my sharing of my faith in Christ, the hope that I have in this life and the next, and the reality of what life apart from Christ is like. I don't mean to suggest that I am going to turn into a crazed street-corner preacher, but when those opportunities come up, I need some Holy Boldness to speak the truth of the Lord to people who are in danger of focusing on the trivial, such as their burial plot, while the truly important, their eternal home, is neglected. That is one of the primary tasks of the church: To proclaim the good news in such a way that disciples are made. Pray for me in that task.

I don't want the pendulum to swing too far, so that I become so heavenly minded that I am of no earthly good. I've met those people too. We have a mission here on earth beyond developing our faith so that we spend eternity with the Lord. We are to make disciples of all nations, as the Great Commission commands. It wasn't just an instruction for the first disciples.

I've even gone as far as to tell my family that I don't care where, how, or even if, you bury me. When I breathe my last, I am done with this body. If they want to part it out to science, I'm good with that too. But I want to use it to build the kingdom while I am here.

The song, All my Tears, on the Jars of Clay CD Good Monsters, really speaks to this issue. I can't find a decent recording of it to share with you, but the clip at the bottom of this post has most of the song but ends abruptly. I've printed the lyrics for you to read in case the audio is a little rough.


When I go, don't cry for me
In my Father's arms I'll be
The wounds this world left on my soul
Will all be healed and I'll be whole.
Sun and moon will be replaced
With the light of Jesus' face
And I will not be ashamed
For my Savior knows my name.

It don't matter where you bury me,
I'll be home and I'll be free.
It don't matter where I lay,
All my tears be washed away.

Gold and silver blind the eye
Temporary riches lie
Come and eat from heaven's store,
Come and drink, and thirst no more

It don't matter where you bury me
I'll be home and I'll be free
It don't matter where I lay
All my tears be washed away

So, weep not for me my friends,
When my time below does end
For my life belongs to Him
Who will raise the dead again.

It don't matter where you bury me,
I'll be home and I'll be free.
It don't matter where I lay,
All my tears be washed away.

2 comments:

bishopman said...

What difference does it make if you are buried in the sun or shade? There's going to be 6 feet of dirt on top of casket.

This is very sobering. We should all take stock of when/how/where we share our faith.

BTW, I think you would make a good street corner preacher. :)

Roy said...

I'm not making this up. Shade is preferable. It makes it easier on your friends to come and visit your grave.

Re: Street corner preaching. You are a HATEFUL boy.