Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Blooming where they are planted

On Monday we took the white-knuckle drive up Pikes Peak near Colorado Springs. Here are some pictures from the drive. There are many hairpin turns on a road that will make anyone afraid of heights grip their car door. But along the way, we stopped and played a little at Crystal Reservoir and climbed up a rock formation above the treeline. What is amazing is the number of beautiful flowers that can live under rocks, in shadows, and in some of the harshest environments you can find.

God makes people like that. Those who can bloom wherever God plants them are like the hardy little plants. They beautify some of the ugliest places, and make the world a little prettier place. That is the kind of Christian I aspire to be. One that makes the world around me a little better, no matter where God plants me. I hold fast to my pastor's favorite scripture, Psalm 16:6, that my boundary lines are drawn in pleasant places.

No comments: