Friday, December 26, 2008

This is why I want the Lions to go 0-16


This article summarizes much of the frustration that I have felt with the Lions during my lifetime. I'm 41 years old and they have won 1 playoff game since I have been on the planet. During that time, Mr. Ford has been either 1) grossly incompetent and unable to find competent front office personnel and coaches; 2) unlucky; or 3) indifferent to the plight of the fans and unconcerned about winning, just making money.

I do feel bad for the players on the Lions. It's not their fault that Mr. Ford gave Matt Millen a 5 year extension at $5 million/year when it was apparent that he didn't know how to run a team and the fans were marching in the streets calling for Millen's dismissal. The Lions just don't have talent, and Mr. Ford just doesn't seem to care. Before last week's drubbing at the hands of the Saints, he announced that he is bringing his current management team back next year. Obviously he is pleased with their performance, so much that he isn't willing to interview anyone who might be considered a "genius" or even above average.

So, I'm going to follow the lead of my younger daughter and become a Dolphins fan. She switched because she cannot handle the losing and she likes Jake Long and Chad Henne, who were drafted by the Dolphins.

At least I can leave with a clear conscience and say that I have never given the Lions any of my money. The games I have attended were as guests of suite holders, and I didn't pay for anything, including parking.

Adios Mr. Ford. You have made it clear that you are indifferent to the fans, and either don't care about building a winner or don't know how. Either way, I'm taking the energy I have as a fan and giving it to a team that actually tries to win. Not one that is the plaything of a rich kid who wasn't allowed to play in the family game of auto manufacturing.

I'm embarrassed that it has taken me this long to get to this point. Maybe I'm just a slow learner. But, at least I learn.

No comments: