Thursday, May 07, 2009

High School

Yesterday I had the great privilege to sit and share a meal and some great conversation with a friend from high school. It's been many years since we have seen each other, but that didn't put much of a damper on our time together. I have great memories of some fun times with Pete, and he and his family are some of the nicest people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.

As we sat and talked, the conversation turned to people we know and where they are now. We were both wracking our brains on some folks, but Facebook has helped with others. One of the things we noticed was that some of the prominent, high-achievers in high school seemed to have peaked a bit early. Others, who were under the radar, have done quite well for themselves, and some of our classmates, well, let's just say their life is a train wreck (think incarceration.)

As I sat there I realized that I would not want to go back to high school. And I thought of my daughter who starts this fall. There is so much peer pressure and social dynamics that I'm pretty sure that, despite the fun I had, I wouldn't want the hassle.

My advice to those in high school? Remember that this is a fleeting phase of your life. Stay true to your beliefs, don't go knucklehead, and realize that in 20 years, the world will look very different.

The video clip below captures that thought pretty well for me.

No comments: