Monday, June 04, 2007

Desert Island Gear

Just for fun, let's assume you were going to be stranded on a desert island for a while. Think about what you would like to take along with you. After watching Cast Away, I realize the value of hockey skates (ugh) but I don't think that is high on my list.

Since we are suspending disbelief for this exercise, be creative. Think of a book or series of books, (other than the Bible which we will assume is there courtesy of the Gideons) musical selection (yes there is a player there with electricity) and one item you would want, and it can be from any category.

Here goes my list.

CD: Share the Well by Caedmon's Call - I love the sound they created on their mission trip to Ecuador and India. It transports me to a completely different place when I listen to it.

Book: The Lord of the Rings trilogy. If I am going to a desert island, what better reading that pure fantasy with Christian morality backing it?

Item: I was sorely tempted to say a hammock or Swiss Army Knife, but reality and my age set in and I have to go with my glasses. Unfortunately this fantasy exercise doesn't correct physical defects.

What are your selections? Post a comment and let us know.

3 comments:

bishopman said...

I recall Hawkeye from M*A*S*H saying he wished he had the dictionary, because that "had all the other books in it." Personally, I think I would take Donald Miller. CD - uh, not sure, maybe Resurrection Band. Can I just have a radio so I can listen to some radical, right-wing radio?

Other item. Something to cook with.

Anonymous said...

a fishing pole...the whole crack some rocks tie it to a stick and chase fish is not my cup of tea

Anonymous said...

Hmm... I'd bring any TFK CD so I can rock out and have my own private island parties... thousand foot krutch is my love! Bookwise, I'd have to say "Paradise Lost" by Milton.. I'd have plenty of time to finally get through that nightmare of a masterpiece. And anything else? I'd bring the world's first never-empty lighter. I'm not very good at making fire with a couple of rocks.

:) Lauren