Monday, September 24, 2007

The Melancholy Funk

For the past couple of months, I've been in a bit of a melancholy funk. Nothing huge, but just unsettled about the way things are going. Maybe this is the mid-life crisis now that I have hit 40, but I just don't know.

I keep going back to the movie As Good as It Gets, when Jack Nicholson's obsessive compulsive character asks a group of depressed psychiatric patients "What if this is as good as it gets?" That is the question that haunts me. I'm an optimist at heart, and firmly believe that the best is a head of us. But I have nagging doubts that I may be wrong. And I'm just struggling with that. I don't think its the seasonal blahs, it's just a nagging doubt that hangs in my head.

If you sense a despondent tone in my posts, feel free to drop me an electronic kick in the pants. I probably need it.

1 comment:

bishopman said...

I hear you, brother. I won't kick you.

I've been going through some of the same things as well, and I'm over half a decade away from 40.