Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Being light in the darkness


This has been a week where the Lord has been challenging me on this very issue. How can I be light in darkness? There is so much darkness in the world, and it swirls around us unnoticed most of the time. But occasionally it rears its ugly head and announces its presence, and we are forced to deal with it.

This past weekend my neighbor's son died from a drug overdose. He was a young man with problems, but he seemed, at least from my perspective, to be making some headway in dealing with them. But the darkness that surrounded him eventually consumed him, and his grief-stricken family is left wondering what they could have done to prevent this.

Deb and I have spent some time with the family since his death, and it is hard. Drug abuse is so pervasive in our society that it is sickening. Prescription drugs, street drugs, and home-grown and home-made drugs are readily available and are evidently very affordable. I have to confess that I am at a loss as to what to do about this scourge.

Pray for me as I seek God's face on how I can be light in this darkness. What does my candle look like in my neighborhood. With this death, I have heard from others about their neighbors who have children hooked on drugs and bouncing in and out of rehab. I always knew it was there, but it has really hit home for me. We (I) need to be a light to show the love and truth of Christ in this pervasive darkness. I'm just not sure what God is asking me to do. I appreciate your prayers.

2 comments:

Rick Morris said...

I am excited to read this because this is the shift the church has needed for some time. Unfortunately it comes too late for some.

We (I), to steal from you, have been very lazy in regards to the great commission. We (I) expected people to come to us for refuge, for safety, for salvation. We have expected people to come meet us where we are at. This is not biblical, and at what point did the church start expecting and or demand this?

I am sick and tired of church culture.
I am sick and tired of pharisee's among us.
I am sick and tired of being a part of the problem.
I am sick and tired of a church who has a building in a community and they say they are community minded but do nothing IN the community.
I am sick and tired of church, pastors, evangelists talking about how we need to live for Jesus.

See none of this is about me. None of this is about me living or doing.
It is a matter of Being Jesus. Allowing Him to live through me. It takes me completely out of it.

How can we be light in the darkness. You already are my friend. Meeting the needs by meeting them where they are at and being Jesus.

Lauren said...

I'll definitely be praying for you, my dear Roy. I have been convicted of the same thing this week. Keep writing.
<3 Lauren