Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Unspeakable grief

For the second time in the past three months I will be going to the funeral of one of my neighbor's children.  And for the second time it will have been caused by an apparent drug overdose.  I cannot imagine the pain that the parents are bearing right now.  To lose a child is a tremendous loss.  To lose a child to the scourge of street drugs that run rampant in our country would be something that I don't know how to process.  My heart and prayers go out to the families during this time.


I really don't know what to make of the drug issue.  I praise the Lord that it is foreign to me.  I have no experience with family members being addicts, and I praise God for that.  But I have friends who have conquered the addiction, and others who are still struggling mightily with it.  I know it is a powerful addiction and one where your body is at war with your mind.  I also know that God can, and has, delivered people from the clutches of addiction.  Why do some make it and others don't?  I don't know the answer to that.  I don't know why some people are delivered in an almost supernatural manner from addictions, and others grind it out slowly - two steps forward, one step back - for their entire lives.  It's not fair, that is for sure.  But life isn't fair and we know that.


I pray for people who struggle with this.  I know sometimes I get short with them and wonder why they aren't farther along than they are.  But then God will remind me of how long some things in my life have taken, and others that are still a work in progress.   God is pretty good that way.  Just when you think you can be "all that" and pass judgment, He will remind you of who you once were.  He will also remind you that it was His grace, not your power that changed your situation.  Praise God for his mercy.


Listen to the clip below.  It is a song written by a friend for someone who cannot shake a drug addiction.  Right now this lyric just sticks with me:
If I could through myself
Set your spirit free
I'd lead your heart away
See you break, break away
Into the light
And to the day    





Say a prayer for those stuck in addictions tonight.  Lord knows they need Divine Intervention

No comments: